Thursday 10 May 2018

Spring Makeup

Now that the warmer weather is finally here I figured a spring inspired blog post was much needed. My post today is focusing on one of my favourite things...makeup!

I asked the beautiful and talented Jennifer Bartelt some make up related questions to get our faces spring time ready.

A bit about Jennifer


She's been a freelance makeup artist for over 15 years, with a focus on the bridal industry. She attended the Complections College of Makeup Art and Design in Toronto, where she was able to learn from top makeup artists. Looking at her, you can see what her work is all about; simple, clean and natural beauty.


I was lucky enough to get the chance to ask Jenn some questions. If you know this sweet woman, you know she is one busy lady. So thank you Jennifer! 💕

Let's get right into it!

Where do you get your inspiration from?

There are SO many talented makeup artists out there, and with social media platforms being such a great resource to get connected and follow other artists, it's so easy to get overwhelmed by the amount of influencers out there.

I tend to follow artists with similar looks and skills I have. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the really crazy, artistic makeup looks, but people who influence me the most are artists like:
(click on their names for their Instragram accounts)
Their looks tend to have a great variety of fresh, beachy, bronzed looks with a touch of drama here and there with bold beautiful lip colours.

What do you love most about makeup?

Oh my God, all the options! I have LOVED makeup since I could walk. I love the fact that makeup can be as little or as much as you want. I love all the beautiful options, colours, textures and packages. I love that makeup isn't about hiding behind a mask, but how it can be used to create something so beautiful. There is literally nothing better than having a client see themselves after I do their makeup. There is a light in their eyes, and a smile on their face that just melts my heart. Being able to bring out their inner beauty is what's most important to me. Everyone has something special and unique about them, and it's my job as an artist to emphasize that uniqueness and that beauty. It's wonderful what a little bit of makeup can do to change someone's persona.

What are the new spring/summer makeup trends for 2018?

I feel like with every season there is always the trends that resurface every year. What I love about Spring/Summer makeup is that its fun to have fresh skin and to play with pastels and pops of colour. 
  • I love using BB creams to achieve fresh looking skin
  • A fun colour on the lips (MAC-'girl about town' is my fave fuchsia)
  • A beautiful flush pink cheek 
  • Simple/beautiful eyes (light wing liner and mascara)
  • Bronzer
Alternatives to powders would be using a nice cream blush-multifunctional too! You can use 1 product for 3 purposes-cheeks, lips, and eyelids. For gals on the go, this is a great product.

What are 5 must have makeup items for summer?

1. Mascara (waterproof for beach days) L'Oreal Lash Paradise in blackest black (doesn't flake and stays on all day) Or alternative to mascara would be lash extensions (Brittany Roote from Port Elgin, Ont is my go to lash gal)
2. Bronzer- Too Faced Chocolate Soleil in medium/deep
3. Lip Gloss- always have this on me! My fave is Dior in 'baby pink', but NYX in 'creme brulee' is an affordable alternative that I adore
4. Cream blush in a petal pink
5. Powdered SPF- Eminence Organic Sun Defence Powder- I use this everyday! (Available at Na'Hoola Spa in Southampton, Ontario.)

How do you get your makeup to last all day with the warmer weather?

Weather can play with our perfect makeup looks for sure. We sweat, we get oily, greasy, makeup runs and bleeds and it's not cute. So some tricks are to know your skin type. Purchase products that work with your skin type. Using primers will help a lot, for many reasons. It acts as a buffer between your skin and products. It fills in pores, acts as a base for foundation to blend in smoothly and last longer without breaking down and separating. Setting your makeup will be key too, using a transpartent setting powder helps to keep your makeup in place all day too. Lastly, a finishing spray will also assist. Prime, set, spray and you'll last all day!


How can we achieve a healthy summer glow?

Well, for those sun worshipers out there, it's so important to use an SPF on your face everyday (sun or overcast). Those rays are extremely damaging, but it's oh-so-nice to have healthy glowing skin. So here are my tips.
  • Use a BB cream with SPF (allows for sun protection, but you can still achieve a healthy glow from sun)
  • Bronzers are key! Use this to emphasis your summer glow and allows you to achieve a healthy glow without the damage from the sun.
  • Highlight! I LOVE a good highlight, you can fake a glow in seconds. Hitting the high points of your face (cheek bones, cupids bow, nose, forehead, chin) in collaboration with a bronzer, you can achieve a really beautiful healthy glow in no time flat.

Lastly, what are some products you can't work without?

Oh that's a loaded question. I LOVE playing with makeup, and even my everyday look I depend on these few products everyday. Here are my go to's:

1. Tarte Shape Tape Concealer
2. Eminence Powdered SPF Defence to set my concealer
3. Too Faced Bronzer ( I use this in my crease for my transition tone, contour, and to warm up my face)
4. Becca Blush in the shade 'Flower Child'
5. Becca Highlighter in the shade 'Champagne Pop' (I'll use this as my lid colour too)
6. Stila Liquid Liner in Black
7. L'Oreal Lash Paradise Mascara
8. NYX Butter Gloss in 'Creme Brulee' or some fun pink shade

         

     
I hope you ladies enjoyed this post! A big thank you to Jennifer for taking the time out of her busy schedule to answer these questions. You can check out her work and her blog HERE .

L
xo



Post a Comment